Our Commercial Contracts Team acts as the interface between the public sector and the commercial sector. The Team helps clients work successfully with business partners and suppliers ranging from local service providers to multinationals. We are the leading supplier of specialist commercial law advice to the NHS inScotland,
Covering all aspects of commercial law, the Team provides advice and services across the following key areas:
- European Union (EU) procurement advice and support
- Information Technology (IT) contracts, including managed services, software licensing, and supply and maintenance contracts
- Network and telecoms contracts
- Intellectual property - creation, protection and exploitation
- Research and Development, clinical trials
- Data Protection, Freedom of Information, advice in relation to confidential data and related issues
- Services contracts including waste disposal contracts, document scanning, nursing home services, cleaning and laundry, and occupational health
- Secondment arrangements, and project consultancy contracts
- General advice on all commercial/legal matters affecting the public sector.
Solicitors and support staff in our Commercial Contracts Team combine an in-depth understanding of the specific requirements of the public sector with extensive experience of working with the commercial sector. As a result, we are ideally placed to provide legal and commercial advice and practical support on matters ranging from relatively small-scale contracts such as project consultancy, to large projects or complex policy-sensitive issues relating, for example, to the storage and handling of personal data.
The depth and scale of our expertise means we are well equipped to help clients move into new ventures. An example of this is our expertise in connection with the establishment of shared service operating models.
The Team can also provide invaluable practical and commercial assistance when conducting an EU procurement procedure. We are uniquely placed to provide assistance in developing best practice in response to the challenges posted by the complex legislative framework governing public procurement.
The negotiation process in any contractual arrangement, particularly in large complex projects, can sometimes be daunting to clients and, of course, it can often be a key stage in any procurement process. The Commercial Contracts Team can support and lead such negotiations, drawing upon our extensive collective and individual experience and intensive training in negotiation skills.
Disputes can, of course, arise even in the most considered contractual arrangements. The Commercial Contracts Team is well placed to offer appropriate assistance in connection with any dispute, offering pragmatic practical and legal advice, when necessary in conjunction with the litigation department to achieve best results for clients.